Okay, a bunch of you have requested that I blog while I'm down here. I do have to say that writing is not a forté of mine, but I'll give it a shot. If anything, it will refresh me of my english as I immerse myself in Portuguese for the next 8 weeks.
So I figure my first posting will be about my trip down here. I flew on TAM, the only Brazilian airline left after Varig's bankruptcy. There is something very unique about a Brazilian's inability to follow directions at an airport. I can't help but laughing each time the airline steward calls (in portuguese, of course) for passengers traveling with small children or elderly to board first. At this point, all 200 of the brazilian travelers have already lined up, across two or three airport gates waiting to board this flight, fighting for their spot at the front of the line. And of course, no one listens to the announcements. Or, rather, no one cares. So instead of allowing small children and the elderly to board, a stampede of Brazilian women with their tight jeans and high heels rush towards the front, thrusting their numerous hand bags at whoever is in their way. Believe me, these are tough women.... And of course, none of the airline staff choose to enforce the boarding priority, and thus they get away with it. For as long as I've flown to and from Brazil, this has always been the case. I still can't understand why. So if you are ever in an airport and see a herd of people rushing to board in the most disorganized and loud fashion, it isn't because Michael Jackson is on the other side, it is just a bunch of Brazilians!
Once you are on the plane, you are greeted by the "Aero-Moças". Literal translation: "Air-Girls". So the Air Girls greet you, offer you water, and a sweet candy to chew on, and then return to their seats. The Air Girls wear body-suit-like matching outfits, excentuating each curve in their body. So Brazilian, right? The outfit is topped off with two inch heels that look painfully uncomfortable to be wearing for a 9 hour overnight flight. The Air Girls give out the cutest packages to each traveler. They include blankets, ear phones, slippers (yes!), toothbrush and toothpaste, and a duty-free shopping guide. Along with the goody-bags, the food is great (for airline food) and it is all complimentary. It has been a long time since I've flown with such luxuries :)
The third most impressionable moment about flying with the Brazilians was passing through "customs" in Såo Paulo. I have a Brazilian passport, so I was able to pass through the "natives" line at customs. This is what it involved: opening my passport to the picture page and smiling. The customs lady didn't even take the passport out of my hand. I didn't get asked any questions, I didn't have to show anyone my luggage - none of that. I just had to smile. Believe me, after living in Montreal for 5 years and dealing with customs at the Canadian border, this experience was unbelievable.
So after all the Filas, Aero-Moças, e Customs I'm here. I'm safe, and I'm in Salvador!
Beijos,
Fadinha