Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dance Brazil

Last night I had the opportunity to see an incredible display of Brazilian dance, capoeira, and culture here in Bahia.  The group is called Dance Brazil, lead by Mestre Jelon of Capoeira Luanda. Many of the dancers are the Capoeiristas I'm training with here in Salvador.  Luckily, they were having a formal dress rehersal open to friends and family last night at Espaço Xisto here in Bahia.  I went with Mestre Jelon, Mito, and a few others. It took my breath away, and made me want to jump up on stage and dance with them all at once!  They incorporate capoeira, ballet, modern, and afro-brazilian dance into their moves.  The music is independently composed for the show, and is electrifying - drums, berimbau, keyboard, guitar, vocals...

Dance Brazil is internationally renown and travels extensively through North America and Europe.   Speaking of... they are flying to New York on July 25th for several performances in both New York and Boston.  To all you New Yorkers, check them out!  It is definitely worth it!


I've been busy... will write more soon!
Meagan